Saturday, October 25, 2008

Two Years Later, more or less....

Hello.

Excuse me while I clear out the cobwebs in this place! There...that should do it.

For the few people who have looked in when I was at "Ye Olde Blogging Spotte," I've received the directive from my host, AOL, to vacate the premises and relocate to Blogger.com It's a nice place, from the looks of things, that might give me more exposure on the Internet.

Good or bad, you decide.

As a sort of look-back on the past two years, I've moved to a nice apartment complex in Delran, NJ where the rent is $150.00 more but it's smaller and more plush with a neighborhood laundromat, a swimming pool for residents & guests and a gym room with free-weights, treadmills and exercise bikes. The central building also has a dinning area that can be rented out for a variety of events. I attended it once when a local church hosted a fundraiser featuring The Bob Smith Trio! The lead singer/guitarist is a former tax prep client and the piano player my former music teacher when I was in the 3rd grade learning the trumpet.

Small world indeed!

As for the work situation, a number of changes there as well.

I requested, and was granted, a transfer from the Accounts Payable Division to Inventory Control/Freight Debits Division which is a new department that's still associated with Merchandise Accounting but deals with checking on freight shipments to over 500 of our stores nationwide. As for whether it was a better move or a worse one remains to be seen, but at least I don't have to contact vendors, factors, stores, buyers, EDI specialists, Vendor Compliance, and other sundry hard-to-reach people who are only visible when it's to their advantage or they need to contact me! Right now, I'm generating paperwork for research of freight shipments to determine if claims need to be filed or the shipment delivery has been confirmed. Soon, I'll learn how to file claims and cap shipments using interesting software that I'm either going to have to be trained on through a software instructor or one of the most experienced clerks in the department: an intelligent young man who needs to work on his people skills but he's cooperative and relatively inoffensive.

Regarding my tax preparation situation, I've been partially transferred to an office in Voorhees, NJ while still officially attached to the Mount Holly, NJ office due to a dramatic reduction in tax pros assigned to it. Our district has been rezoned again, which makes it difficult to work in any office near to my apartment, and it seems that my original plan to work almost exclusively on Clicks & Mortars, my original reason for relocation, has been delayed if not diminished thanks to the District Manager and his bosses!

Movie-going has been sporatic but enjoyable. Rather than trying to write update reviews on this installment, I'll generate a list of noteworthy films that I've seen over the past two years and give mini-reviews on a later installment. Stay tuned.

I've lost YumYum three months back so I've got more solitary time than I would have liked. She was a mischievous but sweet companion and she's deeply missed even though I have her cremated remains in a box in my room. Gruesome to some, but a source of sentimental comfort on the holidays when I'm not visiting my mother up north in Trenton.

Speaking of "the lady who bore me," we celebrated her 76th birthday by going to the Sovereign Bank Arena to see "Cirque de Soleil." It was alot of fun seeing these talented acrobat/clowns involving select members of the audience in their elaborate performances. I've seen them on TV but nothing compares to seeing them live!

The next few weeks will be belt-tighteners for me but I've dealt with worse before and after my current move so I'll be OK.

Because I live in a lower apartment, you won't have to struggle down the stairs! Just walk down the hall and out the door. I also don't have an attic anymore so I might want to change the name of this blog...nah! Dave's Attic sounds more homey and folksy than Dave's Study or Dave's Dining Room so I'll stick with it.

Take care and "Thanks for your attention."

No comments: